Gday I’m Mick the camp oven cook, and today I’m going to make something a little bit different to Damper, some fresh camp oven bread rolls cooked with briquettes. They only require a few ingredients to make but require some time for the proofing stages.
In the camp oven to start off with, into a large bowl, we’re going to need four cups of flour then you will need to add two tablespoons of sugar, one packet of yeast, and a tablespoon of salt.
Combining in one cup of water stir it all up with the spoon and continue to add some more water if you do need it. this is just to make it all come together.
Now the doughs all come together, just going to get some flour on my bench. Going to give it a really good Knead for a couple of minutes. It’s all combined. Alright once it’s all combined into a ball, just going to put some spray oil in here a bowl, put it in there, cover it with some cling wrap and then put it somewhere warm for about 40 minutes to an hour and come back to it.
Alright. It’s been sitting about 40 minutes, doubled in size. That’s exactly what I want. All I have to do now is knead it for a few more minutes. Put it back in the bowl, cover it again, put it in a warm spot for another hour and then we’ll do our final stage.
Alrighty, so I’m up to the final stage of doing my bread, so it’s been rising there for the second time. All I’m going to do is now is give it a final knead, now that I’ve kneaded it It’s time to divide it up into bread rolls.
So for that, I’m just going to cut it in half and cut them in half and then in half again. To cut them into eighths and then need them into small balls.
Okay, so I’ve made my 8 camp oven bread rolls. I’ve got my heat beads just about ready to go. That’s warming. My Camp oven is ready to be nice and warm, but not hot. It’s just coming from that radiating heat. What I want to do is just take the lid off.
It’s got a little bit of flour in there in the bottom and I’m going to place one in the centre. I’m going to place them all around it.
Now, just put the lid on top of the Camp Chef camp oven, like I said before, I don’t want to put any heat on this one of the last 20 minutes of warming, up there and rising. And then once that’s done, I’m going to put my heat on the oven and start baking them, back in a moment.
These bread roles have been in here for 20 minutes proofing. So, I’ve just put some heat underneath the oven and I put some heat on top.
Now, put five underneath and six on top for now. And I’m just going to put the lid on and give it about 10 minutes, check it, and see the temperature.
Alrighty, so here are my camp oven bread rolls. Have a look at these Beauties. Don’t they look, fantastic? You’re going to be great for any meal that you’re out in the bush cooking.
Heres my Camp Oven Bread Rolls Recipe
Basic White Bread RecipeCourse: Camp Oven BreadCuisine: AustralianDifficulty: Medium
Top and Bottom Heat
Theres nothing better then fresh bread rolls while camping, try my easy camp oven bread rolls recipe them next time your camping.
4 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon salt
1 packet of yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1 ¾ cup warm water
- Into bowl, place all the dry ingredients.
- Add water then mix well to form a dough. Turn dough out onto a clean floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. Place back into bowl, cover and let the dough rise in a warm spot for around an hour or until it is well risen.
- After its doubled in size, turn the dough out onto a clean floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. Place back into bowl, cover and let the dough rise in a warm spot for around an hour or until it is well risen.
- While the dough is rising, warm up a camp oven for the final proofing stage.
- This is the final profing step, turn the dough out onto a clean floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes. devide into 8 peices and make into rolls. place the rolls into a floured camp oven and let rise for a further 30 minutes.
- Place heat onto the camp oven and bake for 30 – 40 minutes. you will want more heat ontop and less on the bottom.
- If you dont have time you can skip the second rise, but they are better with it if you can.