Whether you’re out camping in nature or wanting to make your own at home in the camp oven, then this camp oven hot cross buns recipe is just for you!
Hot cross buns are a spiced sweet bun, that’s traditionally eaten on Good Friday all around the world as a delicious snack.
Hot cross buns have a signature cross on top, which is a throwback in history to when it was felt that the population was becoming too fat so the church would only allow sweet fruit rolls to be made on particular days and celebrations. The cross indicates that the rolls met those requirements. Now, this cross only remains in Easter traditions.
For this camp oven hot cross buns recipe, we have used Heat Beads as our heat source but you can use a gas ring burner, coals (with no fire bans present) or even a hooded BBQ or home oven.
If you don’t like sultanas you can omit them or replace them with choc chips (like we have in these photos). There’s nothing better than hot cross buns fresh from the camp oven with loads of butter!
Let’s cook Camp Oven Hot Cross Buns
Camp Oven Hot Cross BunsCourse: Camp Oven Bread Recipes, Misc RecipesCuisine: camp oven cookingDifficulty: Intermediate
9QT Camp Oven
Top and bottom Heat
4 cups plain flour
2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons mixed spice
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups sultanas/currants/choc chips
40g butter softened
2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Flour Paste
1/2 cup plain flour
5-6 tablespoons of water
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons caster sugar
Butter, to serve
- Combine flour, yeast, sugar, mixed spice, salt and sultanas in a large bowl. In a small saucepan place butter and milk and heat until lukewarm.
- Add milk mixture and egg to the sultana mixture. Use a knife to combine until the dough starts to come together. Use your hands to finish mixing to make a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth. Shape into a ball.
- Place into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling wrap. Set aside in a warm place for an hour, or until the dough doubles in size.
- As buns are doubling in size, prepare your briquettes. We’ve used 24 Heat Beads for this recipe. When your Heat Beads turn white, they are ready to use.
- Grease your camp oven and line with quality baking paper. Punch dough back to original size then divide into 12 equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball and place it onto baking paper, about 1cm apart. We fit 6 buns in a 9-quart camp oven, so used two ovens at the same time.
- Make flour paste. Mix flour and water together in a small bowl until smooth, adding a little more water if too thick. Spoon into a small ziplock bag. Cut off one small corner of the bag.
Place buns in a camp oven and pipe flour paste over the tops of buns to form crosses.
- Place 8 Heat Beads underneath your camp oven and 16 around the top of the lid. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes or until buns are cooked through and sound hollow when tapped.
- Make the glaze: Place water and sugar into a small saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Brush warm glaze over warm hot cross buns. Serve fresh from the camp oven with loads of butter.