Gluten-free damper? It can be done! You can’t go camping without making a damper, it’s almost a tradition! But what about those who are intolerant to gluten? Use the Gluten-Free Damper recipe base and add your favourite flavours. Here we’ve added the classic combination of Parmesan and onion.
Gluten-Free Damper Parmesan & OnionCourse: ArticlesCuisine: AustralianDifficulty: Medium
Top and bottom Heat
500 grams gluten-free self-raising flour
Good pinch salt
Water (roughly 1-1.5 cups)
1 1/2 cups shredded parmesan
1 large onion, finely diced
- In a bowl add 500 grams of self-raising gluten-free flour and a pinch of salt. Add the diced onion and around 3/4 of the Parmesan.
- Slowly add water until the ingredients start to combine and form big clumps of dough.
- Use a butter knife to cut into the big clumps and keep on stirring around and around. The dough mix will slowly come together and form one piece.
- There’s no need to use your hands as the mix is very sticky.
- Use your knife to turn the damper out onto a lightly floured trivet covered with foil and sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top. Put the lid on the camp oven.
- Cook for about 30-40 minutes. The damper should be ready when browned and sounds hollow in the middle when tapped.